The Most Delicious Comfort Food: Pierogies... with an Extra Side of Probiotics
Free of gluten, eggs, dairy, meat, nuts, and added sugars. And fffuuuulllll of comfort food goodness ....
For each of the sessions of Future Doctors of America, the students pick the recipes they most want to try healthy variations on during our week in the kitchen. The students in the first class of Future Docs II on Digestion & Diabetes Prevention decided they wanted to try making pierogies, only with a healthy twist. They really challenged me with this one! But the result was definitely worth it!
So... we replaced the white flour with lentil noodles. We cut the white potatoes with half rice cauliflower. And we replaced the dairy-based cheese and butter with more heart-healthy vegan variations.
And they were a hit!!! Add in some extra tasty sauerkrauts on the side, and you'll have them asking for "Healthy Pierogies" next yaar.
The The Most Delicious Comfort Food: Pierogies... with an Extra Side of Probiotics
Prep time: 45 minutes
1.5 pounds of fresh potatoes (preferably red skinned or purple)
1c riced cauliflower
1/2c vegan butter
1/4c plain vegan cream cheese
1c vegan cheddar shreds
10 sheets of gluten free pasta, preferably lentil-based
4T coconut butter
1 container unsweetened coconut yogurt or Dill Sauce
1/4c lemon juice
"Sauerkraut bar" -- a few flavors of sauerkraut to add flavor and digestion
1.) Prepare the filling:
- Bring a large pot of purified water to a light boil. Wash potatoes well. Leave whole (with skin on) and lightly boil over medium low heat for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove most of the water, crush potatoes gently with a fork and add riced cauliflower. Cover and cook over low heat for 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add vegan butter, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Mix well with a fork.
2.) Stuff and cook the pierogies.
- Bring a large pot of water to a light boil.
- Trim pasta sheets in to 50 circles about 4-5 inches in diameter. Add a spoonful of filling. Fold over and seal by pressing a fork along the edge.
- Place pierogies in lightly boiling water for about 1 minute.
- Heat 1T of vegan butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add pierogies in a single layer, lightly browning each side.
3.) Allow to cool and add toppings.
- Make the “sour cream: blend together the coconut yogurt and lemon juice.
- Line place with a bed of salad greens. Add a few pierogies. Top with “sour cream” and sauerkraut. Enjoy!
Created by the Future Docs II Spring 2018 students at JMS, a program possible thru sponsorship from the San Gabriel Educational Foundation.