The Best Vegan Gluten-free Mac & Cheez
Free of gluten, eggs, dairy, meat, nuts, and added sugars. A mouth-watering new take on a favorite comfort food....
Reports suggest that more and more teens are going vegan. The #1 reason suggested for the popularity of a plant-based diet might be surprising to some adults.
Simply stated, vegan options are easier to find. Couple the ease and convenience of vegan options with better tasting plant-based food and you have rapidly increasing numbers of teens opting for more plants in their diet.
This easy Mac & Cheez recipe is no exception. The ingredients that make up this recipe are easy on the environment and good for the body.
This recipe left the JMS students saying, "It doesn't taste exactly like cheese, but it is still so delicious!" And then they asked for a second helping.
The Best Vegan, Gluten-free Mac & Cheez
Prep time: 30 minutes
2c yellow potato, sweet potato, butternut squash
2c non-dairy “mylk”
1/2c water/veggie broth
1/2c potato starch
1/2c vegan butter
2T dijon mustard
1/2c nutritional yeast
3t garlic powder
2t onion powder
2T lemon juice
5t light/white miso paste
2T vegan butter
2 slices of gluten free bread
1.) Prepare the “cheez” sauce:
- Cut the root veggies (potatoes/squash) in to small pieces and add to a large soup pan. Add the non-dairy “mylk” and water/broth. Cook over medium heat for 30-40 minutes or until the veggies are soft enough to easily crush with a spoon.
- In a separate dish, combine the potato starch with some of the extra broth from the veggies until smooth.
- Turn off the heat. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
2.) Make the crunchy topping.
- Toast bread or let air dry over night. Toss with softened vegan butter
- Toast until lightly toasted (5-10 minutes).
3.) Prepare gluten-free noodles as directed. Top with "cheez" sauce and crunchy topping. Bake at 300F for 10 minutes if desired. Serve & enjoy immediately.
This recipe was created as a part of the Jefferson Middle School, Spring 2018 class. Made possible through sponsorship by the San Gabriel Educational Foundation with generous support from the San Gabriel Valley Medical Center Foundation Funds.